CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals’ commitment to ethical standards, and enforcement of a Code of Ethics by FPSB Ireland, is one of the principal ways in which FPSB Ireland will assure the public about CFP professionals’ recognition of their commitment to clients, colleagues, employers, the profession of personal financial planning, and members of the public who place their trust in personal financial planners.
By adhering to FPSB Ireland’s Code of Ethics, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER professionals agree to provide personal financial planning in the best interests of clients and to act in accordance with the highest ethical and professional standards for the practice of personal financial planning.
Before being authorised to use the CFP certification marks, and each time he or she renews his or her CFP certification, a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER professional must disclose whether he or she has ever been involved in any criminal, civil, self-regulatory organisation or government agency inquiry, investigation or proceeding. At each certification renewal, a CFP professional must acknowledge the right of the FPSB Affiliate to enforce the Code of Ethics and proper use of the CFP marks.
The eight principles of FPSB Ireland’s Code of Ethics are:
- Best Interest of client – A CFP professional will always act in the best interest of a client
- Integrity – A CFP professional will always act with integrity.
- Objectivity – A CFP professional will be objective in providing personal financial planning to clients.
- Competence – A CFP professional will provide services to clients competently and maintain the necessary knowledge and skill to continue to do so in those areas in which the CFP professional is engaged.
- Fairness – A CFP professional will perform personal financial planning in a manner that is fair and reasonable to clients, principals, partners, and employers and will disclose conflicts of interest in providing such services.
- Confidentiality – A CFP professional will maintain confidentiality of all client information.
- Professionalism – A CFP professional’s conduct in all matters will reflect credit upon the profession.
- Diligence – A CFP professional will provide services to clients in a prompt and thorough manner.
FPSB Ireland’s full Code of Ethics may be downloaded here (PDF).